Thursday, October 20, 2011

I am a cancer survivor!


As many of my friends know, I've been dealing with prostate cancer for the past several months.  I don't typically discuss my personal life in the blog, but felt like I needed to make an exception this time.  
  
I heard a voice in the back of my head telling me that I had prostate cancer, that I would be okay, but that I needed to go to the doctor. So I scheduled the physical that I'd be postponing for ages.  When the blood work came back, the PSA test result was 21.  That's a huge number.  So, we re-ran the test.  Let's make sure it's not a mistake, because that's a big number for someone so young, and without any issues.  The second test resulted in a 24.  Doc sends me to a urologist to check into the elevated PSA.
  
After some uncomfortable exams and an eventual biopsy, it was determined that I had prostate cancer.  I'm no expert in the medical terminology, so bear with me.  The prostate gland was almost completely covered with cancer.  The Gleason Index was a 9.  That's a ranking of the aggressiveness of the cancer growth.  A 1 is very slow and a 10 is very fast.  A second opinion at Vanderbilt Medical Center confirmed the results and the suggested procedure.  Hormone therapy bolstered by daily hormone supplements with surgery in 60 days after the hormones have had time to work.
   
I had surgery on October 11th.  The doctor said it went much better than he expected.  Due to the aggressiveness and amount of cancer growth within the prostate, he expected it to be pretty ugly when he got in there.  However, when the biopsy pathology came back, it was negative.  The edges and lymph nodes were clean.  He said I got the best possible results back.  I am cancer free!  The percentages suggest that 85% of patients will not be clean, at least not for long.
  
I have a big advantage.  I'm a Christian.  I believe that the original 'voice in my head' was God taking care of me.  I believe that this experience was a learning experience for me.  A way for me to grow closer to God and be a better disciple.  I'm not a scripture quoter.  Heck, I'm not even that good of a Christian.  But I do believe that God sent his son Jesus to die on the cross for my sins.  I'm trying to make the most of this situation and grow as a person and a Christian.  Let me know if I can help you.
  
So here's the deal:  Men, I'm 50 years old.  You should get a physical yearly.  I didn't fit any clinical profile.  Men my age don't have the kind of cancer I did with the aggressiveness of a Gleason 9.  I was way past the 1% range of occurrences.  About 75% of men will have prostate cancer in one form or another.  If you find it early, it can be treated.  Nearly 1.6 million people will be diagnosed with cancer in one form or another in 2011.  And approximately 571,000 will lose their battle with cancer this year.  Get yourself checked.
  
If you want to help fight cancer contact your local American Cancer Society office or visit www.cancer.org.  As an odd aside (I don't really believe in coincidences), my wife is a board member in the Huntsville ACS organization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment