Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Research Tricks


Whether we're talking about developing a business plan for your great idea, or a marketing plan to promote your business, we always start with research. I teach this in workshops, classes, and in one-on-one coaching and consulting. You always begin with research. 


That entrepreneurs don't do this properly was brought to light several years ago when a coaching client responded to my inquiry about her experience in the niche restaurant business that she had eaten in plenty of restaurants and didn't need any more experience than that. Just last year a coaching client told me that he didn't need to do any research because he was starting a sporting goods store because we didn't have any in town. I really tried to polite, but just couldn't help busting out in laughter.


But here's the question, how do you do your research? For big companies that can afford to subscribe to services, databases, and hire their own research staff it's not a big worry. But how does a small company go about gathering all the appropriate information?  I have some thoughts, but I'd like to here yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment