Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What you post online matters

A recent CareerBuilder/Harris Interactive survey found that 34% of job candidates were rejected due to that candidates social media activity. That means 1/3 of job applicants that made it through the computer culling process and then the human culling process were rejected. We're talking about the cream of the crop of job applicants being rejected because of what they posted online. WOW!


So what did they post that was so offensive? Here's the top four reasons:


4. They badmouthed a previous employer.


Come on folks, are you really posting ugly comments about your former employer on your Facebook page? This isn't junior high, doesn't anyone use common sense anymore? Okay, that's a topic for a whole series of posts.


3. They had poor communication skills.


What were u thnkg OMG u so ttly made me lmao. Again, we're not in junior high anymore. If you're in the job market, will ever again be in the job market, have graduated from college or are above 20 years old, grow up and type and speak like a normal adult.


2. There was evidence of drinking or drug use.


How many pictures have you seen of high school or college aged young people with drinks in their hands or passing a joint? Again, isn't this just common sense? 


1. They posted inappropriate photos or information.


Pictures of you half-naked or passed out on the floor don't give a prospective employer a warm fuzzy feeling about your level of responsibility. They see these pictures and assume they'll have to call every Monday morning to wake you because you overslept. 


Every one of these four items goes back to common sense. I guess it's really not so common anymore. I try to use the WWMGT rule. That is: What Would My Grandmother Think? rule. If I'm not comfortable saying or showing something to her, I don't post it online. As a small business consultant that works with companies of all sorts, I'm even very careful not to mix my personal political beliefs, which are quite strong, into my business. Why? What if that next big client is of the opposite persuasion and decides not to hire me because of my recently posted rant on the current or potential President. 


That's not to say that you can't have different standards for your world than I have for mine. I expect most people will have a different standard. What I'm suggesting is that you have A standard. Think about what you're doing online and don't just post stupid stuff there without thinking about how it affects your reputation. 





Connect with Chris on  Google+  LinkedIn  Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment