Friday, January 13, 2012

Reference Librarians: An Entrepreneurs Best Friend

Conducting research for a new venture or product line, developing a marketing plan, or a  general business expansion is so important to the ventures success. Yet so few people actually take the time to do it. Why is that?  Do they not know how? Do they not know where to look for information?


I tell hopeful entrepreneurs frequently to go to the public library or university library in the reference section and speak to a reference librarian. Many of these entrepreneurs look at me like I had two heads. A polite request for help will generally get you way more information and assistance than you bargained for. Reference librarians, by nature, are helping people. Most thrive on providing assistance to their patrons and members. 


I had another wonderful experience yesterday with a reference librarian at the main branch of the Huntsville/Madison County Public Library. I walked up to the reference desk and asked for some help finding resources to research a particular issue. Not only did the gentleman answer my question, but he also invited me around to sit at his computer to show me how to access two on-line databases that are available to library members. He showed me how to log on and gave me a quick tutorial on using the services. Try to get service like that from you local cable company!



No comments:

Post a Comment